Important information for newly enrolling parents
- The city council has agreed to a new school-build in North Morningside. This has led to changes being agreed to our school catchment.
- The target date for opening the new school is August 2020.
- The new school will be 2-stream.
- The new school being built means that the school catchments of James Gillespie’s Primary School and some other local schools have been changed following a statutory consultation process.
- The new school’s catchment has already been agreed during a statutory consultation and will start operating in November 2019 prior to the new school opening, in time for P1 registrations. More information can be found at www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20103/classes_and_buildings/1335/south_edinburgh_primary_schools
- James Gillespie’s Primary School (JGPS) will become a 21 class, 3 stream school as of August 2019. Beyond the opening of the new school the catchment changes will reduce the incoming P1 at JGPS and the roll should begin to fall. The plan is to manage JGPS back to a two-stream school.
- August 2017: the current ICT room at JGPS is converted to an additional classroom. The school moves to handheld devices for children rather than using an ICT suite.
- August 2018: the provision of two additional temporary classrooms to allow demand to be accommodate until such time as the roll reduces following the opening of the new school is being planned. Potential locations for these classrooms are being investigated and the final location will be agreed with the school and Parent Council representatives in 2017.
- As of August 2017, packed lunches (or part of) may move to the ground floor of the Annex. The school will manage the supervision of this using PSAs.
Please note that all newly enrolling parents should check the city council’s policies and procedures on applying for P1 and S1 (High School) places. There are deadlines each year, after which, you may not be guaranteed a catchment place for your child. These policies and procedures can be viewed at http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/schoolplaces .
Please note that securing a place in our nursery does not guarantee you a place in our primary school. Securing a place in our primary school does not guarantee you a place in James Gillespie’s High School. Placements are made using the city council’s policies and procedures at the above link.