JGPS Multilingual Parents & Carers Group
Our school is a colourful microcosm of families from all over the world. In addition to English, there are at least 24 other languages spoken by our pupils at home. With the school’s encouragement, the Multilingual Parents Group (MPG) was created in October 2014 as a way for parents of multilingual children to share experiences, challenges, and to help connect same-language families. The group liaises with the school on language-related matters and seeks to raise awareness of how bilingual kids learn, such as by organising themed meetings. More broadly, the group exists to help the school celebrate the languages and cultures of its pupils, and to promote inclusion, integration and global citizenship by organising fun extracurricular activities and informative events for the benefit of all children and families, multilingual and monolingual alike.
Activities Organised so far:
- World Book Day 2015 and 2016:
o Reading of ‘The Gruffalo’ at the special assembly in 19 different languages!
o ‘Tales from different cultures’, multilingual and multicultural storytelling in classrooms by visiting parents.
- External Speakers 2015: Professor Antonella Sorace (University of Edinburgh and Bilingualism Matters) on “Myths and facts about child bilingualism: what every parent should know”.
- Themed Meetings 2015/2016:
o Meeting with the EAL assistant to discuss how non-native speaking parents can help their children whilst balancing the use of school language with the home language.
o Gathered Together (BEMIS) project met with MPG and Parent Council members to consult on issues of linguistic and ethnic diversity related to parental involvement.
- Christmas Fair 2015: foods from around the world to help Fun & Funds raise funds for our school.
- JGPS Multilingual Library Book project: an ongoing collection of books in home languages, or dual-language books, donated by families to be made available to all pupils at the new library.
- Prof Antonella Sorace will speak to teaching staff about how bilingual children learn in August 2016.
Proposed meeting dates for 2016-17 (8:45am-9:45am at the school): 7 October; 3 February; 5 May